This post is one in a series of childbirth meditations. This post focuses on the word notice, and the ways noticing the small things can help you during pregnancy and childbirth.
Meditations for “Notice”
You can notice things with all your senses. What you see, hear, taste, touch and smell can all alert you to what is happening around you.
We all have a passion in life that causes us to notice some things more easily than others.
It is more common to want others to notice what has caught your attention than to want to be aware of what others have noticed.
What we notice is not so much the big or the small but the different, the changed, the unexpected.
No matter how well you train yourself to pay attention, there will always be things that escape your notice.
We want others to notice us when we do what we consider good, and to not notice us when we do what we consider bad.
Even when you fail to notice it, the world is changing, time is passing and life is growing.
“True progress quietly and persistently moves along without notice. ” – St. Francis of Assisi
Questions to Work Through
- What things has this pregnancy caused you to notice about yourself?
- What things has the pregnancy caused you to notice about others?
- How have you changed your life based on what you now notice about the world?
- What things about yourself do you hope escape the notice of others?
- In what ways do you try to see what others notice?