This post is one in a series of childbirth meditations. This post focuses on the word relax, and how to relax asduring pregnancy and childbirth.
Meditations for “Relax”
When you fight labor with your body, mind or emotions, labor becomes a long, painful and unproductive process.
To relax, you must trust that childbirth is normal, that your body is capable of giving birth and those around you desire to help.
Relaxing requires so much more than being able to physically flop. It requires being able to let go of fears, anger and frustration.
You cannot judge your ability to relax by the way you live when everything goes right, but by the way you live when everything seems to be going wrong. Very few things in childbirth feel perfect.
It is not enough to know a few relaxation techniques. Childbirth will be stressful. You must have the ability to use these techniques during a time of stress.
“Take rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop.” – Ovid
Questions to Work Through
- What keeps you from physically relaxing during pregnancy?
- What keeps you from emotionally relaxing during pregnancy?
- What are you afraid would happen if you let go of control during childbirth?
- In what ways do you already achieve relaxation during pregnancy?
- How do you know you are prepared to relax during childbirth?