This post is one in a series of childbirth meditations. This post focuses on the word understand, and understanding the changes during pregnancy and childbirth.
Meditations for “Understand”
We spend a great deal of energy trying to make others understand us, less trying to understand others.
Understanding and acceptance are independent. Just because I can do one, does not mean I can do the other.
We tend to believe that if we understand things we will feel better about them. Unfortunately, that isn’t always true.
It is sometimes easier for others to understand us better than we understand ourselves because they are not hindered by trying to make us out to be better than we really are.
To understand we must learn one step at a time, allowing the truths to build on each other.
Life continues whether I understand it or not.
One way to begin to understand is to begin to ask questions.
“I hear, I know. I see, I remember. I do, I understand. ” – Confucius
Questions to Work Through
- What things do you wish others could understand about you?
- What things do you wish you could understand?
- How has lack of understanding harmed you?
- What can you do now to improve your understanding of pregnancy and birth?
- What do you need to feel you understand and are understood?