This post is one in a series of pregnancy menu helps. This menu consists of items that are easy to take along or pick-up on the way for a busy day. This post shares ideas to meet your pregnancy nutrition goals on the days when you do not have access to a kitchen.
The “Pack it To Go” Pregnancy Menu
1/2 a Bagel
1 C yogurt
1/2 cup orange juice
Apple with peanut butter
Chef Salad (with Egg and ham)
Cup of Milk
Cup of pasta
Dinner Salad with Egg and Cheese
Cheese and Crackers
Making this menu work for you
Here are some ways to ensure the best nutrition when eating “on the run”:
- At restaurants, select milk, juice or water as your beverage instead of a soda.
- Invest in a mini-cooler that will allow you to keep refrigerated foods cold for 2-3 hours.
- Many fruits travel well and provide a sweet snack.
- Instead of buying the individual packs of snack foods such as popcorn and pretzels, purchase the normal size (which is usually cheaper per serving) and re-package it into smaller containers to fit your needs. In this way, your snack can include a smaller portion of a variety of foods, such as dried fruit, nuts, and crackers, instead of a larger portion of one variety of food.
- To get the variety of foods you need without over-eating (resulting in heartburn and indigestion), split a restaurant dinner with a dining companion or ask the server to put half your meal in a “to-go” container right away. If you have a cooler in the car, you can keep the extra portion from your meal for a snack or meal later in the day.
- Be sure to read the labels on convenient packages of snacks. You my find some choices meet your pregnancy nutrition goals better than others. Choose snacks such as mixed nuts, dried fruit and whole wheat crackers.