When your body is large and you cannot find a comfortable position in bed, sleep becomes difficult. In addition to the physical discomfort of the growing belly, you may wake up several times a night to use the bathroom.
Some Women Have Tried…
- Try pelvic rocking just before you go to bed. It pulls the uterus into a better position so the bladder is not as compressed.
- Give yourself a relaxing self-massage to help your body transition to sleep.
- Use lots of pillows to support your belly, back and legs.
- Try propping your upper body up more by using more pillows.
- Experiment with couches and armchairs in your home to see if you can find a comfortable position in one of them.
- Practice relaxation methods for labor right before bed to help your body be ready to fall asleep.
- Enjoy a warm shower or bath before trying to sleep.
- Drink a glass of warm milk before sleeping.
- Avoid foods with caffeine in the evening.
- Eat a healthy snack 30-45 minutes before going to bed to help prevent nocturnal hypoglycemia.
- Be sure to exercise every day.
- Try passionflower or chamomile tea before bedtime.
- Consult an herbalist for appropriate dosing of valerian root. The extract can help improve sleep quality.
- Mix together 2 drops grapefruit, 3 drops lavender and 1 drop vetiver oils. This can be added to a vaporizer or bath to help stimulate sleep. You may also place a few drops of the mix on your pillow or add the oils to one half ounce sunflower oil to create a bed-time massage oil.
- Try a relaxing bath with nerolie and rose oils. Add ylang ylang for a calming, sedative effect.
- Sitting on the edge of your bed, use one foot to stretch and massage the other using the heel and toes to apply pressure. Spray your feet with a sleepy-time oil before you begin to enhance relaxation and prevent hurting the skin. To make the oil, mix 25 ml grape seed oil, 25 ml almond oil, 20 ml jojoba oil, 10 ml rosewater, 10 ml glycerine and 20 drops each of lavender and chamomile essential oils. Keep this mixture in a spray bottle by your bed, and shake before each use.